Cindy's Country Mix

do it yourself projects, watercolor


My New Daybed Redo

Our office daybed was purchased about eight years ago at a local used furniture store called Finicky Furniture.  The metal frame was dark brown which looked okay in the office because our desks were very old and still the original, natural walnut finish.  My husband and I have very large desks.  One we bought at a thrift store and one we found at the curb on trash day.  They are both in great shape other than their age.  Our chairs are black and were purchased new at Costco.

A few years ago, we bought two hutches at a thrift store and my husband modified them and mounted them on the wall above each of our desks.  Our office was getting more and more eclectic with one of the hutches being maple!  I started thinking that the office was beginning to look like a dump.  I asked my husband what he thought about painting the wood furniture black because the chairs were a black pattern.  He thought it was a good idea and we headed to Lowe’s for paint.

The color that we chose is called Lincoln Cottage Black in Eggshell finish.  We painted all the wood furniture in the office with this color, the desks, hutches, and bookshelf.  We also bought black spray paint and painted the bed frame.  What a major improvement this made to the office.  This was all done in 2007!  That is a long time ago.

Desks painted black

Painted Desks

The cover on the daybed has been an old burgundy quilt, that was pretty ugly.  For years, I have been looking for just the right cover for it, never finding anything that I liked.

Deciding to make the cover myself, I went shopping for fabric last month.  Home Fabrics and Rugs in Phoenix, Arizona has some fun fabrics for lower prices.  Purchasing three different patterns in black and white prints and two bolster pillow forms, I left with plenty of fabric to cover the daybed mattress, the trundle mattress, and pillows as well.

I have been sewing since I was eleven.  I don’t really enjoy sewing very much, but I truly enjoy the finished product and that is what motivates me to sew.  I sew on ‘the fly’ if you know what I mean.  I don’t really follow patterns too closely.  I measured the mattresses and pillows and then began cutting up the fabric.  With a number of breaks from sewing, heh, I managed to complete the project in about a week.

Custom cover for Daybed


Aqua is my favorite color and I think it looks good with black, so that is what I chose for my pillows.  Two of the covers I bought at Hobby Lobby, one with sequins and the other with scrolls.  I bought fabric to make two so I would have some variety.  Here is a closer look.

homemade pillow with fringe

Pillow with Fringe.

I used velcro to close the covers, so that I can remove and wash them should there be a need.

Aqua pillow with buttons

Aqua pillow with buttons

I made new black and white valances after these pictures were taken.  They look nice, too.

The next mission for this room, should I decide to accept it, is to recover a swivel rocker that is MAUVE!  Ack.  There are other projects on my list that will come before I ever attempt the chair.  I feel good right now just having the daybed complete!

Thanks for stopping by.  You can also chat with me on Facebook or Twitter and follow me on Pinterest.


About the ads that follow: They are not placed by me  and are not associated with this post.  They are placed by WordPress on blogs that are free.  Thank you for your understanding.